[meta-freescale] [meta-fsl-arm] i.MX6 audio performance

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Jan 3 07:51:03 PST 2014

On 2014-01-03 08:23, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to play MP3 files on my SabreLite (using mplayer from
>> meta-oe).  The performance is horrible; I only hear a fraction
>> of a second then noise/nothing then another fraction of sound, etc.
>> If I convert the file to .WAV and play using 'aplay' the sound is
>> perfect.
>
> Which mp3 decoder is being used on your test?

This is what mplayer tells me:
Forced audio codec: mad
Requested audio codec family [mad] (afm=libmad) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested audio codec family [mpg123] (afm=mpg123) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 128.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 16002->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffmp3float] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG layer-3 audio)

So I assume that it's using FFMPEG.  I get the same messages on my OMAP3

I've also run the same experiment on the SabreLite using gstreamer like this
    gst-launch filesrc location=file.mp3 ! audio/mpeg,layer=3 ! ffdec_mp3 ! alsasink
This also plays fine on the SabreLite, so it seems that it's only something
about mplayer.

I also noticed that on the SabreLite, mplayer is using an additional library
   libXxf86dga.so.1
and that it was built using hard floating point (the OMAP3 is soft).

Any ideas?