[meta-freescale] [meta-fsl-arm] i.MX6 audio performance

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Jan 3 07:19:11 PST 2014

I'm trying to play MP3 files on my SabreLite (using mplayer from
meta-oe).  The performance is horrible; I only hear a fraction
of a second then noise/nothing then another fraction of sound, etc.
If I convert the file to .WAV and play using 'aplay' the sound is
perfect.

This is with no special tuning other than using alsamixer to set
up the audio levels.  I'm not running pulseaudio or in fact any
other programs at the time.

Am I missing something?  Is there anything I can do to make this
run better?

n.b. I've run the same code on other platforms, even a pretty slow
old OMAP3, and mplayer works just fine to play the MP3 file.