[meta-freescale] Using a defconfig refers to an in-tree defconfig file

John Weber rjohnweber at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:37:42 PST 2014

On 2/25/14, 4:10 PM, Eric Nelson wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 02/25/2014 02:29 PM, John Weber wrote:
>> I thought I would bounce this one of the mailing list.
>>
>> Is there any reason why we shouldn't simply use the defconfig from the
>> kernel tree if appropriate?
>>
>> We would do this by the defconfig file in the recipe refer to a filename
>> in the kernel tree. For example, in the file
>> recipes-kernel/linux/linux-wandboard-3.10.17/defconfig would be a single
>> line:
>>
>>     use-kernel-config=wandboard_defconfig
>>

> In general, +1 from our end.
>
> The primary down-side is that the Yocto needs may differ from other
> distributions, but then again, any particular user will likely
> want to tweak a bit anyway.
Well, I thought all was good with this little trick, but as it turns out that is
not the case.

I saw this being done within meta-ti kernel recipes and thought it was pretty
nifty, but each recipe includes this file:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-kernel/linux/setup-defconfig.inc

So, this is a non-standard feature.  It would be nice to know what others think.

And, Otavio, I was too quick to be happy regarding our conversation today...  :-)