[meta-freescale] Gstreamer and Transcode i.mx6

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Dec 28 08:08:40 PST 2014

On 2014-12-28 14:31, Peter Hafner wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to trans code 2 different types of streams to h264 codec, on a
> i.mx6 Dual.
> First  stream is from a STK1160 video device
> and I'm using this gstreamer commands.
>
> gst-launch-1.0 --gst-debug=3 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! videoconvert
> ! imxvpuenc_h264 bitrate=4096 !
> "video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream,profile=high" ! h264parse !
> matroskamux name=mux ! filesink location=output.FIFO -v
>
> This is working !
>
> The second stream, is a raw jpeg stream via udp.
> This is the commands, I currently thought it is the best one:
> gst-launch-1.0 --gst-debug=3 udpsrc buffer-size=1000000 port=5006 !
> queue !  jpegdec ! videoconvert ! imxvpuenc_h264 bitrate=4096 !
> "video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream,profile=high" ! h264parse !
> matroskamux name=mux ! autovideosink
>
> I got always the error "reason not-negotited (-4). Of course tested a lot.
>
> This is working with video test src:
> #gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc !  videoconvert ! imxvpuenc_h264
> bitrate=4096 ! "video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream,profile=high" !
> h264parse ! matroskamux name=mux ! filesink location=output.FIFO -v &
> Thanks Peter

With udpsrc, you need to define the caps for the output data
explicitely. Check out the "caps" property of udpsrc.

Furthermore, you can replace jpegdec with imxvpudec (it can decode
motion JPEG). Once you do that, you can remove videoconvert from the
pipeline, since imxvpudec outputs I420-formatted pixels, which
imxvpuenc_h264 can use directly.

Also, as a general advice, always try to use one of the transform
elements instead of videoconvert. The imx(g2d,ipu,pxp)videotransform
elements use hardware accelerated conversions, while videoconvert does
conversions with the CPU (and by default also does dithering, which is
even slower).