[meta-freescale] Issue with USB Webcam dongle on i.MX6Q Sabre Lite board

Sri Harsha Rentala harsha2708 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:56:39 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am a novice with the yocto project and I am currently working on a thesis
project in which I am facing an issue with the setup of a USB webcam on a
SABRE lite board by Boundary devices.
I have built the Minimal image 'core-image minimal' over which I have
installed certain components and packages for which the list is given
below.

*OS*: Ubuntu 13.10
*Board*: Sabrelite rev-D by boundary devices
*Kernel Version*: Image Name:   Linux-3.10.17-1.0.0_ga+yocto+gca

                       Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
*Bitbake version*: 1.22.0

Machine name was changed to 'nitrogen6x'.

*Additional applications installed*: Gstreamer-0.10, mongoose web server
application, libav, openssh, imx-test, libxbee
*Additional hardware used*: Logitech USB webcam

When I try to access the webcam to capture video, I am unable to find the
device. Basically, the image is unable to identify it as a webcam, but only
as a USB device.
The following was my terminal output

root at nitrogen6x:~# usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 3

usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 4 using ci_hdrc

root at nitrogen6x:~# gst-launch v4l2src ! mfw_v4lsink

mxc_v4l_open: Mxc Camera no sensor ipu0/csi0

mxc_v4l_open: Mxc Camera no sensor ipu0/csi1

mxc_v4l_open: Mxc Camera no sensor ipu1/csi1

Unable to open /dev/fb0 -1mxc_v4l_open: Mxc Camera no sensor ipu0/csi0

get vscreen info failed.

set color key failed.

MFW_GST_V4LSINK_PLUGIN 3.0.11 build on Jul 30 2014 14:25:19.

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...

ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.

ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0: Could not
open .
Additional debug info:

/home/harsha/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gn:
system error: Resource temporarily unavailable

Setting pipeline to NULL ...

Total rendered:0

Freeing pipeline ...

[--->FINALIZE v4l_sink

I understand that the webcam is only being identified as a USB device which
can be seen in the terminal output (in red) above. So how do I get the
dongle to identify it properly?
Do I have to install the USB driver for the webcam separately? (I looked up
to find that we don't need to, but I am not sure).

I appreciate any suggestions and directions here.

Regards
-Sri Harsha