[meta-freescale] Trouble including firmware-imx

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Apr 18 19:03:16 PDT 2014

Hello folks,

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Stuart Weaver <stuart.weaver at port.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I'm trying to create a rootfs using my own image file but including the
>> freescale firmware so that I can include vpu functionality etc. However,
>> when I try a simple:
>>

>> gst-launch videotestsrc num-buffers=200 ! vpuenc codec=6 ! filesink
>> location=test.264
>>

>> I get
>>

>> [ERR]     Error in opening firmware binary file
>>
>> [ERR]     Please put bin file to /lib/firmware/vpu folder or export
>> VPU_FW_PATH env
>>

>> Obviously I'm not including the binary into the yocto build as there isn't
>> even a firmware folder in the rootfs. However the following is my image
>> file:
>>

>> include recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb
>
> core-image-minimal does not include any RRECOMMENDS as default.
>
> And imx-firmware is RRECOMMENDS.
>
> So, add this by yourself, in your image, or use core-image-base instead.

The firmware-imx generates several sub-packages that are added in
MACHINE_FIRMWARE[1] variable which is added in
MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS. So adding the firmware-imx is doing nothing
as it is an empty package.

1. http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc#n56

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS is included in the packagegroup-machine-base
which IS NOT included in the core-image-minimal image. The smallest
image which includes it core-image-base.

I hope this clarifies the reason it didn't work for you. :)