[meta-freescale] Pros/Cons of Yocto vs Ltib

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Sat Oct 19 06:24:16 PDT 2013

Hello Joshua,

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Joshua Kurland
<joshua.kurland at adtecdigital.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the answers (again lol).  I am curious though, how do you
> rev the kernel with Yocto?  The way our ltib guy explained it to me,
> the BSP is typically just a bunch of patches.  If he wanted to rev the
> kernel, he takes those patches and puts them onto the new kernel,
> simple (so he says anyway).  But the BSPs for the imx6 and the
> wandboard look like they already integrate the patches in with the
> mainline source.  So that to make a patch (perhaps to include into
> Ltib), one would need to diff between the current source and the true
> mainline.  Why do it that way?  Does Yocto have a way of stripping out
> the patches and re-applying them later?

We always work with upstream; this is independant of it being Linux
mainline, or vendor kernel. We did a lot of work to get most of our
patches merged into Freescale kernel, kernel mainline, U-Boot and so
on.

Getting  a pile of patches is easy but it puts more work for
maintenance; we been doing a lot of work to easy long term support.

So we work to fix the issues in the root cause and integrate those
with upstream.

> As a side question, you had mentioned 3.10.9 is in the works, WITH
> vpu/gpu support.  I was under the impression that the drivers were
> closed source.  Has that changed?  Or is vivante releasing a new set
> of binaries for this kernel?  Or is dark magic involved.

It has closed source and open source parts; the binaries and initial
work has been done by Freescale; they made it available in their alpha
release layer and we're working on porting those changes to this BSP.

> The more I understand how each build tool works and what the
> differences are, the better I will be able to work with both of them.

Well; I think you have plenty of information already.