[meta-freescale] Looking for recommendations to help evaluate Freescale LS1021A...

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Fri Oct 18 08:16:14 PDT 2013

Hello Bob,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Bob Cochran <yocto at mindchasers.com> wrote:
> Most of you are probably aware that Freescale has announced an ARM-based
> QorIQ device built around an ARM (dual) Cortex-A7.
>
> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=LS1021A
>
> We're interested in moving forward with this SoC, but we first want to
> benchmark in hardware some relevant applications to see if the dual
> Cortex-A7 @ 1GHz will have enough processing power to do what we need.

Yes; the BSP for this platform is not yet released as far as I know.

> Can you please reply with what you think would be the best evaluation board
> to bring in house that provides a fair representation of the Cortex-A7's
> performance? BTW, each core has 32KB data & instruction L1 caches, and it
> shares a 512KB L2 cache.

At this moment I think your best bet is the Freescale evaluation board.

> I'm thinking it will probably be an i.MX solution (maybe i.MX53 QS or i.MX6
> Sabre Lite?).  However, I would like to hear from the developers working
> with these boards on a regular basis about the stability and level of
> support for the particular board they're working with.
>
> We'll also need to work out which HW debugger to bring in, so I would love
> to hear any recommendations for this.
>
> Also, I suppose we should be looking at non Freescale ARM eval boards, too.

For i.MX we have many supported boards; you can see the full list at
our Release Notes[1].

1. http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/1.5/

The right SoC is very project specific so it is hard to give a good
advise; regarding possible evaluation boards you have many available
and I'd say for you to try to choose one with support on this BSP so
it easy your initial development.

I hope this gives you some pointers where to start.