[meta-freescale] Looking for recommendations to help evaluate Freescale LS1021A...

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Thu Oct 17 10:26:24 PDT 2013

Hello All,

Most of you are probably aware that Freescale has announced an ARM-based
QorIQ device built around an ARM (dual) Cortex-A7.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=LS1021A

We're interested in moving forward with this SoC, but we first want to
benchmark in hardware some relevant applications to see if the dual
Cortex-A7 @ 1GHz will have enough processing power to do what we need.

Can you please reply with what you think would be the best evaluation
board to bring in house that provides a fair representation of the
Cortex-A7's performance? BTW, each core has 32KB data & instruction L1
caches, and it shares a 512KB L2 cache.

I'm thinking it will probably be an i.MX solution (maybe i.MX53 QS or
i.MX6 Sabre Lite?).  However, I would like to hear from the developers
working with these boards on a regular basis about the stability and
level of support for the particular board they're working with.

We'll also need to work out which HW debugger to bring in, so I would
love to hear any recommendations for this.

Also, I suppose we should be looking at non Freescale ARM eval boards,
too.

Thanks,

Bob