[meta-freescale] gstreamer 1.x freescale plugings

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Tue Oct 15 13:09:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-15 21:16, Eric Nelson wrote:
> Nice work getting this far!

Thanks :)

>> That said, I can reliably playback 1080p video with this. This is _not_
>> a port of the existing 0.10 plugins, but written from scratch. The 0.10
>> plugins have several conceptual flaws, and most importantly, are not
>> built on top of the GStreamer video en/decoder base classes. A rewrite
>> was just easier.
>>
> It's funny how that works.

Indeed. Although this is rather common if the previous version of the
plugins isn't based on the GStreamer base classes. A rewrite is then
often the better option, since elements based on GstElement tend to have
significantly different structures that do not map well to the base classes.

>> Also, a documentation for the VPU wrapper would be very welcome :)
>>

> Have you seen the file "i.MX_6Dual6Quad_VPU_API_Reference_Manual.pdf"
> within the 'docs' package here (item #1):
>     https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94809

Yes, I have seen and used it. However, this documentation covers the VPU
portion of the imx-lib. The VPU wrapper is a layer on top of the
imx-lib, which abstracts away differences between i.MX versions. Many
parameters and functions of the VPU wrappers are similar to the ones
from imx-lib, but there are some parts which have no equivalent in the
imx-lib.
(Using the VPU wrapper has been recommended to me, since it seems the
imx-lib will be refactored in the near future, with its VPU parts
extracted into a separate library.)

cheers