[meta-freescale] Issues using meta-freescale i.MX6 vs LTIB ?

Trevor Woerner trevor.woerner at linaro.org
Wed Oct 2 06:34:52 PDT 2013

Hi Alex,

On 2 October 2013 09:12, Alex J Lennon <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to qualify a decision to use Yocto / meta-freescale for an
> upcoming
> i.MX6 board variant (based on the Sabre reference) instead of using the
> officially supported release based on LTIB.

In my opinion, the "right" decision will depend on the quality and
size of your team. Are they "interested" enough in their work to go
off and make OE/Yocto work? Are they committed enough to stray from
the provided tools? Do they have the requisite GNU/Linux experience to
know how to figure things out and investigate issues when things don't
work as expected? If your team is big enough, maybe some of them could
work on the LTIB path while a smaller group focuses on investigating
OE/Yocto?

It seems as though you are facing a classic tradeoff between
short-term goals or long-term support. You can probably get to market
faster using LTIB, but what if this is a successful product and two
years from now you switch to a new board, one that isn't supported
under LTIB?

It would seem as though OE/Yocto's popularity (and the scope of what
it can do) is increasing every day. The chances that you can get it to
do what you want are good, and the chances that it will support future
boards is even better.

NOTE: I have no idea what freescale's future plans for LTIB are.

PS: the original email asks for opinions and in this email I have
provided my own personal opinion, which has been known to not always
be 100% aligned with the real world nor the same as the opinions of
others :-)