[meta-freescale] GADGET g_serial Module

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 03:48:10 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Raul Rosetto Munoz
<munoz0raul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm try to use the g_serial module in the kernel 3.8 but all the times I got
> problems like:
>
> g_serial: Unknown symbol ...

Not really a meta-fsl-arm issue, but a kernel one.

Do you have CONFIG_USB_G_SERIAL enabled?

> I was looking that in the kernel 2.6 this module works fine, then I was
> comparing the kernel source code and than I saw that in 2.6 that we have an
> option in gadget seasion:
>
> Driver->USB>Gadget>
> USB Peripheral Controller
> -->Freescale USB Device Controller
>
> OBS:
> config USB_GADGET_ARC
>         boolean "Freescale USB Device Controller"
>         depends on ARCH_MXC || ARCH_STMP3XXX || ARCH_MXS
>         select USB_GADGET_DUALSPEED
>         select USB_OTG_UTILS
>         select USB_GADGET_DUALSPEED if USB_GADGET_FSL_1504 ||
> USB_GADGET_FSL_UTMI
>         help
>            Some Freescale processors have a USBOTG controller,
>            which supports device mode.
>
>            Say "y" to link the driver statically, or "m" to build a
>            dynamically linked module called "arc_udc" and force all
>            gadget drivers to also be dynamically linked.
>
> This option is not avaiable in kernel 3.8.

Yes, recent kernels use chipidea usb driver for i,mx family.

> Some one know if this is the main reason for g_serial doesn't work in kernel
> 3.8?

I don't recall whether 3.8 supports device mode in the chipidea driver.

Please test it on 3.12 kernel instead. If you still have issues, then
you can post your questtion at the linux-usb mailing list.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam