[meta-freescale] Native package building

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Nov 12 09:21:07 PST 2013

On 2013-11-12 10:01, Alberto Liberal de los Rios wrote:
> Thanks Gary,
>
> It has sense, but if I remove BBCLASSEXTEND = "native nativesdk" in the recipe and do "bitbake zlib" why I got an error? Is there another recipe used during the building of ZLIB that needs zlib-native?

Many of them, including GCC.  In order to build zlib, you need a toolchain (GCC, etc)
and bitbake will look at the recipes to make sure that the GCC you may already have
is up to date, etc.  It will then find that the GCC recipe needs zlib-native but there
is no way to build that any more, so the process will fail.

Why are you interested in removing the build of zlib-native?  Maybe you don't understand
its purpose?  zlib-native will be built so that other tools that run on your build host
will have access to the zlib functions.  Those tools will always require that functionality,
hence the need to build zlib-native.  If you are trying to avoid building zlib-native (for
whatever reason), and your build host has the correct (up to date) zlib development package
installed, you can use that instead by adding
   ASSUME_PROVIDED += " zlib-native"
to your local.conf.  This will tell bitbake to use the host's zlib tools instead of building
them from the recipe (but only instead of zlib-native).  In general though, this is discouraged.