[meta-freescale] Vivante X11 tests

Diego Rondini diego.rondini at kynetics.it
Thu May 30 08:01:05 PDT 2013

Silas wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>
> I did some quick and dirty plot this morning. What I did are replacing the
> kernel gpu driver source code, writing recipes for gpu-viv-bin-mx6q,
> xf86-dri-vivante and xf86-video-imxfb-vivante. It compiles fine and I test
> the simple triangle sample from the sdk. The result is...it only works in
> fullscreen. If I create a smaller window in XCreateSimpleWindow other than
> full screen size, it gives me a blank window.
>
> Silas

Hi Silas,

What you are reporting corresponds to my personal experience. Here's what I
gather about Vivante drivers until now.
This is what happens with both 1.1.0 and 4.0.0:
- only Unity 2D (window manager Metacity) is able to display 3D applications
inside a window, without displaying black / white content. Every other desktop
I've tested fails. These are the tested combinations: Ubuntu Unity 3D (wm
Compiz); Ubuntu XFCE (wm xfwm); Ubuntu Openbox session (wm openbox); Yocto
Sato (wm matchbox); Yocto Openbox session (wm openbox);
- performance in Ubuntu Unity  2D in Windowed mode is really poor and
unsatisfying; while is okay in fullscreen mode;
- I can run fullscreen 3D applications in Ubuntu even in openbox and XFCE.

Silas, which test did you run in fullscreen under Yocto? Is there any ready
made or easy to build?

On the contrary now I'm able to use 3D applications in windowed mode in Yocto
danny with Vivante drivers 12.09.01 by replacing the correct missing x11
binaries (libGAL, libEGL and libVIVANTE).

Bests,
Diego