[meta-freescale] IMX6 - webkit memory exhausted

Christian Betz christian.betz at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:49:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM, PAPARO Nino (MM)
> <nino.paparo at magnetimarelli.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m trying to create the minimal image possible with just x11, a webkit
>> browser and dhcp for an imx6 sabre lite board.
>>
>> The meta-web-kiosk
>> (https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Web_Application_for_Interactive_Kiosk_Devices
>> ) layer seems a good starting point so I copied and added it to my
>> bblayers.conf
>>
>> If I try
>>
>> bitbake core-image-web-kiosk
>>
>> It keeps failing  (probably due to “memory exhausted” )while building
>> webkit-gtk-1.8.3-
>>

>> collect2: error: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]
>>
>> | make[1]: *** [libwebkitgtk-1.0.la] Error 1
>>
>> | make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/npaparo/yocto/fsl-community-bsp__dylan/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/webkit-gtk/1.8.3-r1/webkit-1.8.3'
>>
>> | make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> | ERROR: oe_runmake failed
>>
>> | ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (see
>> /home/npaparo/yocto/fsl-community-bsp__dylan/build/tmp/work/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/webkit-gtk/1.8.3-r1/temp/log.do_compile.15983
>> for further information)
>>
>> ERROR: Task 2368
>> (/home/npaparo/yocto/fsl-community-bsp__dylan/sources/poky/meta/recipes-sato/webkit/webkit-gtk_1.8.3.bb,
>> do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
>>
>> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 5374 tasks of which 5373 didn't need to be
>> rerun and 1 failed.
>>

>> I have the same issue also if I try to simply  bitbake midori.
>>

>> I’m running this build on an Virtual Machine (8 cores, 3 gigabytes of RAM)
>> -  Yocto 1.4 Dylan using the fsl community bsp
>>
>> Is adding more RAM the only solution?
>
> No, you may change the local.conf and override the parallel settings
> so make it use a single thread and no parallel building. It will be
> dead slow but should work.

one more tip as a last resort: you *can* also use 'mkswap' to create a
swap file. but this will also be dead slow. you should probably do it
before bed time.

(I now recall this is how I was able to build webkit in the past on a
low-memory pre-yocto system. I was doing it by hand on the target
(x86) and not using bitbake)

personally: I think maybe having just 1 more GB of RAM might get you there.

--christian