[meta-freescale] i.MX6SL EVK

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Sat Mar 16 09:00:51 PDT 2013

Hi Otavio,

On 03/16/2013 07:08 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Eric Nelson
> <eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com> wrote:
>> On 03/14/2013 09:44 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>>> I am glad to learn it ;-)

>>> Not at this moment as said by Daiane; it shouldn't be hard but it does
>>> need to be done.
>>>

>> FWIW, the Yocto build for Nitrogen6X boots right up with a Solo
>> processor.
>>
>> In order to get VPU acceleration, you'll need to copy in the
>> firmware file "vpu_fw_imx6d.bin" though.
>>
>> The GPU seems to come right up.
>
> We need to adapt to use the official kernel for the board.

Of course. The i.MX6SL-EVK will need both custom U-Boot and kernel.

My message was really for Nitrogen6X customers that might
be interested in evaluating the performance of Solo or Dual-Lite
CPUs.

> I think it did work for your board because Boundary's U-Boot already
> handles it however we currently use U-Boot 2013.01 by default here and
> this still doesn't cope with the other variants of i.MX6 SoC.

Yep. This is a benefit of booting to SPI-NOR.

> What is the Boundary's plans for the kernel? A single kernel tree or
> two (as done by FSL)?

Single kernel.

We did this by creating "pads-mx6_sabrelite.h" and including it
twice: once for Dual/Quad and again for Solo/Dual-Lite:
	https://github.com/boundarydevices/linux-imx6/blob/boundary-imx_3.0.35_1.1.1/arch/arm/mach-mx6/board-mx6q_sabrelite.c#L124

This allows us to boot all of our SD cards on all of our boards.

We even have a boot script for Adeneo's Windows CE7 to make it
easy to swap.

Regards,

Eric