[meta-freescale] Pulling down linux imx kernel in yocto

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Tue Mar 12 15:12:09 PDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 01:39 PM, Ashwin Kirpalani wrote:
> This is sort of a beginner question but I need clarification. I have
> successfully build the fsl-image-gui using steps from
> https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94024 for the sabrelite imx6
> board and would like to add a device driver for a camera and/or lcd.
>
> How do I pull down the linux-imx kernel source such that I can add my
> driver, run menuconfig and build the kernel using bitbake.
>
> Much appreciate the help!

Hi Ashwin,

This should be a simple matter of grabbing the sources (using git),
setting your toolchain PATH, and running the compile.

Note that you might want to grab the kernel configuration from a
device running Yocto as a starting point. There are some bits
included in the Yocto configuration that will be useful
(including single-touch selection for Hannstar display and
I believe some udev-related updates from Fabio).

You can grab the kernel configuration out of /proc/config.gz on
a running system, and gunzip it into your kernel source tree as
file name ".config" to get an identical starting point.

There must be an easier way to access the Yocto-built cross compiler,
but it appears on my system under:

~/yocto/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc

Regards,

Eric