[meta-freescale] Firmware loading

John Weber rjohnweber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 07:35:52 PST 2013

I could, but I think that these issues are probably resolved by using upstream
sources, so I'm not sure if this is a bug for greater Yocto or not.  Does it
make sense to file a bug, even if it is closed just for informational purposes?

I do think that this will be a problem for the following systems:
- Using a version of udev > 176 (I suspect this, as that is when udev moved to
an internal-only firmware loading capability, but I know it is a problem for 182)
- Using a kernel < 3.7 (3.7 incorporated a filesystem firmware loading feature
which bypasses udev)
- Drivers loading their firmware in the module init stage  (as the brcmfmac does)

I'd like to create a recipe to at least get this working in Yocto/Poky master
for this and submit it to meta-freescale that would do the following:
- Patch the kernel to remove the staging drivers and add the
net/wirelesss/brcm80211 backport
- Fetch the firmware from a *remote repository* and load it into the kernel's
firmware directory
- Patch the defconfig to add the extra firmware to load into the kernel