[meta-freescale] The updated proposal of FSL Yocto layers reorg - 4-Mar

Luo Zhenhua-B19537 B19537 at freescale.com
Wed Mar 6 23:32:48 PST 2013

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] multimedia, networking and layerscape are for different SDKs specific bits. The common recipes will be put into meta-fsl-ppc and meta-fsl-arm, including BSP part(e.g. machine conf, u-boot, kernel, etc). Please elaborate if I don't fully follow your comments.

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] This layer is same as https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform, a manifest and a README are included.

> > * U-boot/Linux on FSL official git tree (git.freescale.com)
> >
> >  * The source in git.freescale.com will be updated when SDK is formally
> released, since full verification should be conducted to ensure quality.
> So Kernel in FSL official git tree will not be synced with internal git
> tree during the developing phase.
>
> This is bad specially because people end redoing a lot of work which has
> already been done. If you could make it public but marked as experimental
> it'd be great as it would allow more people to help to track down
> possible issues and would make the development more community friendly.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] I understand your concern. This might be related to the FSL source code delivery/upstream process, we can have further internal discussion.

> >  * The kernel team can't have everything upstreamed for an SDK release
> and supporting all feature and bug fixes. Besides we will pick a kernel
> and test and fix it so it will always fall out of sync. (e.g. latest
> kernel release - 1 release + fixes).
>
> Sorry, I fail to understand what you mean here. Do you mind to explain it
> to me?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] Not every kernel patch in FSL SDK can be upstreamed timely due to different reasons.

> >  * These should be much closer to the same for the layers we control.
> Due to the limited resources spread around, we can't always get all fixes
> in the oe-core/poky for an SDK release timely. But a lot of times we can
> get them into the branch for that release and eventually a point release.
> Upstream/public branches will try to work with all Yocto releases, while
> SDK releases could contain a lot of hacks to more things working.
>
> Yes I think a level of divergence is unavoidable but it should be kept at
> minimum.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] Agree to minimize the gap.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua