[meta-freescale] Cross-Compiling Qt Application for i.MX6

squirem squirem at fbdfrozen.com
Sun Jun 30 19:32:46 PDT 2013

I've been trying to figure out how to cross-compile a Qt-X11 application for
a good while now. I've
been
able to cross-compile Qt5Base using LTIB, but since switching to Yocto I've
found that Qt5 support
isn't
quite ready yet.

As for Qt4, I'm not quite sure how to cross-compile an application since Qt4
itself requires a
patch to
add support for the i.MX6.

So far I've been able to build the sato-sdk image which populated the
sysroot directory with the
cross-
compilers, libraries, and headers. In the /usr/bin directory, there is an
application called qmake2
that
seems to behave like qmake, but it complains about missing QMAKESPEC not
being specified. I got a
little
further by adding the Qt4 mkspecs directory with the i.MX6 qmake.conf file
posted here:
https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94066

>From there I was able to generate a makefile and was able to compile some
source files not using
the Qt
library. However I failed to compile any QObjects, with the following error
message: impossible
constraint in 'asm'.

I've found the following post on the yocto mailing where a developer was
essentially at the same
point
as me:
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-April/008514.html

In that thread it was suggested that the OP simply create a recipe for his
application and have
poky
build his application for him.

What I'm wondering is how others are generally cross-compiling Qt4/5
applications. What steps are
taken
in setting up cross-compilation?

I appreciate any advice or input.