[meta-freescale] Merge protocol - proposal

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Sun Jun 9 12:58:14 PDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Christian Betz <christian.betz at gmail.com>wrote:

> i'm a bit late to this thread, but can I attempt to clarify the
> procedures? please correct me if i get something backwards.

Good that someone commented on this.

> the patch submission/approval/merge process generally works like so
> with regards to how things land in various branches:
>
> 1. submit patch to mailing list and work through comments. possibly
> resubmit.
> 2. patch accepted and merged into master-next (if applicable)

The step 2 is skipped in cases like bbappend update or critical bugfixes
(as we had for example in the kernel oops when using NAPI for mx5, for
example).

> 3. after N weeks master-next is merged into master (assuming nothing broke)
> 4. if applicable, patch can be backported to the
> ${current_stable_release}-next branch (i.e. dylan-next)
> 5. after M weeks the ${current_stable_release}-next branch is merged
> into ${current_stable_release).
>
> N and M are typically 1 but could be more depending on the activity level.

Good.

> the next question is about specifically how you recommend testing
> master-next (I am interested in testing qt5 and vivante binaries from
> the latest freescale BSP)
>
> * it seems obvious enough that the meta-fsl-* projects should use
> master-next.
> * the meta-openembedded repo doesn't have a master-next branch so I
> assume I want master in this case.
> * poky also has a master-next branch and I assumed I should use
> that... but their appears to be a version mismatch in mesa so I am
> using master.
> **poky master has this recipe for
> mesa:./meta/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa_9.1.3.bb,
> **but poky master-next has: ./meta/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa_9.0.2.bb

When working in meta-fsl-* I've been using those as master-next and all
others in 'master'.

I dropped the other topic on propose as those are off-topic in this thread.
Please start a new topic for it.

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br