[meta-freescale] How to add custom device tree files to yocto

Mårten Wikman marten.wikman at novia.fi
Mon Jul 1 22:59:33 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm using a custom board with  i.MX287 CPU and I have created my own custom
BSP-layer (it's really just a copy of the meta-fsl-arm at the moment).
However I'm having problems with getting Yocto to include my customized
device tree file.

I have created my own configurationfile under meta-myownbsp/conf/machine/
and changed KERNEL_DEVICETREE =
"${S}/git/arch/arm/boot/dts/myownbsp_mx28.dts"

I have put myownbsp_mx28.dts under
meta-myownbsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-fslc/git/arch/arm/boot/dts/. In
linux-fslc/linux-fslc.inc I have put myownbsp_mx28.dts in SRC_URI like this:

SRC_URI = "git://github.com/Freescale/linux-mainline.git \
           file://defconfig \
           file://git/arch/arm/boot/dts/myownbsp_mx28.dts"

myownbsp_mx28.dts shows up in
build/tmp/work/myownbsp_mx28-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-fslc/3.9+gitAUTOINC+3a1e70d102-r0/git/arch/arm/boot/dts/.

I have also changed MACHINE in conf/local.conf so it uses myownbsp instead
of imx28_evk. When I run "bitbake core-image-minimal" the device tree file
does not show up in build/tmp/deploy/images/ like it does when I'm running
the original mx28_evk configuration.

I'm sure it's just a small step somewhere that I'm missing but I haven't
been able to find it yet, can anybody help me with this?