[meta-freescale] Please review the proposal of FSL Yocto layers reorg

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Wed Feb 27 12:08:52 PST 2013

> The FSL Yocto layers reorg proposal is attached, can you please take a
> look? Any comment and suggestion is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Zhenhua.  I have a few questions and comments about your slides.

*** Slide 2: "Move all FSL specific layers to totally open source, or as
much as possible"

I'm all for this.  Will this include your PowerPC Linux Tree?  I didn't
see mention of this in your slides.  This can be found today on your
public git, but it hasn't been updated in months.

I assume there's lots of kernel activity (as can be witnessed on the
linuxppc-dev at lists.ozlabs.org list), so I'm assuming an internal Linux
tree is being patched often.  It would be great to be able to see your
Linux tree patched as issues are being discussed & resolved on yocto &
ozlabs mail lists.

**** Slide 3: "FSL Layers maintained in git.am.freescale.net,
gitfrescale.com, and git.yoctoproject.org"

Is your goal to have these layers in sync?  Today, I can find a
meta-fsl-ppc layer on yoctoproject and at git.freescale.com.  However,
they are not in sync, and I have no idea why one is patched and one isn't.

**** Slide 4: "Following layers will coexist:"

I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean that a layer (e.g., poky) will
exist separately on different servers?

**** Slide 6: "A branch is created for each FSL SDK release to include
the scripts to fetch..."

I'm all for this one. Obviously, an SDK release implies a certain level
of robustness.  I would like to see high quality, reviewed patches
applied to an SDK branch as necessary so well defined, robust
incremental releases could be generated between the ~6 month SDK release
cycle.  The patches would only be bug fixes and not new package or
recipe versions.

Thanks,

Bob