[meta-freescale] Please review the proposal of FSL Yocto layers reorg

Luo Zhenhua-B19537 B19537 at freescale.com
Tue Feb 26 22:57:28 PST 2013

[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] One reason is, if meta-fsl-arm is used, the i.MX targets and Layerscape arm targets are maintained in the same layer, this might confuse users, E.g. LS arm machines are visible to users of i.MX multimedia SDK. Same for PPC targets.
	i.MX guys, any other reason for the renaming?

> > 3) I think we should delay the creation of some of these layers until
> > we really have packages that are duplicated between two layers (e.g.
> > meta-layerscape can wait until we have a recipe that is needed for
> > both ARM and PPC and is not upstream in another layer)
>
> Personally I think it won't happen often as usually it'll not be a BSP
> package that will fit in this set so it'll end in meta-virtualization or
> meta-networking eventually.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] I agree to delay the creation of some layers till they are necessary. We should upstream those shared packages into oe-core/meta-oe/meta-virtualization/... upstream layers as much as possible.

> > 4) I think we need some more info about the "unifed" layer. I don't
> > think it needs to exist yet, but maybe others would like to see it.
> > Personally, I think it can be created automatically much like poky is
> > now.
>
> As I said, I fear it adding more confusing than solving. It might making
> users wonder which layer he/she will use and don't know exactly the
> difference between the merged layer and the individual ones.
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] there may be some confusion, meta-freescale is similar as https://github.com/Freescale/fsl-community-bsp-platform, it can make it easy for users to download the required layers of right version for a specific FSL SDK. This layer is SDK specific and only maintained in Freescale git repository.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua