[meta-freescale] Freescale Linux kernel 3.10.17_1.0.0_beta

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Dec 30 12:34:26 PST 2013

Hello Fabio,

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> Please do one commit per board; so it is easier to revert (if needed).
>
> Yes, by "convert them all at once" I mean to send a series of patches
> doing the conversion for several boards.

Good.

>> Me too; All customer-kernels I've been doing (based on 3.10) been
>> using zImage and it works quite well. Did you test older kernels
>> (3.0.35 and 2.6.35, for example)?
>
> Booting a zImage is something that is really kernel version independent.

Sure but this does not mean we can convert all without proper testing, right?

>>> Haven't tested imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta yet, but I can try it next week.
>>>
>>> Even if we manage to get imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta booting fine with
>>> uImage, I still think that booting the zImage makes sense, as it can
>>> avoid user errors by passing incorrect LOADADDR.
>>
>> I like this as a goal but this is not a simple change for the BSP; we
>> need to make it work for both supported kernels and test both. The
>> ideal would be to have all boards using zImage but we have a long way
>> for this...
>>
>> Even if we convert all boards to zImage we need to keep support for
>> uImage as customers may be using it for their internal boards.
>
> Then this defeats the whole purpose of the zImage transition then.

It does not; I think we must be a safe bed for our customers and we
cannot shove down their throats a change like that. We must support
this at least for one more release to keep some time for them to
convert and adapt.