[meta-freescale] Freescale Linux kernel 3.10.17_1.0.0_beta

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 12:24:08 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio at ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> Please do one commit per board; so it is easier to revert (if needed).

Yes, by "convert them all at once" I mean to send a series of patches
doing the conversion for several boards.

> Me too; All customer-kernels I've been doing (based on 3.10) been
> using zImage and it works quite well. Did you test older kernels
> (3.0.35 and 2.6.35, for example)?

Booting a zImage is something that is really kernel version independent.

>> Haven't tested imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta yet, but I can try it next week.
>>
>> Even if we manage to get imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta booting fine with
>> uImage, I still think that booting the zImage makes sense, as it can
>> avoid user errors by passing incorrect LOADADDR.
>
> I like this as a goal but this is not a simple change for the BSP; we
> need to make it work for both supported kernels and test both. The
> ideal would be to have all boards using zImage but we have a long way
> for this...
>
> Even if we convert all boards to zImage we need to keep support for
> uImage as customers may be using it for their internal boards.

Then this defeats the whole purpose of the zImage transition then.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam