[meta-freescale] Freescale Linux kernel 3.10.17_1.0.0_beta

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Mon Dec 30 12:17:26 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM, John Weber <rjohnweber at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think this is a great idea but I believe we ought to make this for
>>> all boards so we have it uniform across the boards; otherwise we'll
>>> have a mix and it makes the support harder.
>
> Yes, in mainline U-boot I plan to convert them all at once.

Please do one commit per board; so it is easier to revert (if needed).

>>> Considering we'd target this for 1.6, what would be the conversion plan?
>>>
>>> Who could be responsible for each board for converting/testing?
>>>
>> Not sure, my thought was to leave it to the board maintainers. Unless I'm
>> mistaken (which is a possibility), for some reason uImage does not work when
>> booting with the 3.10.X kernels.  It that is the case then we either need to
>> figure out the problem with uImages or others will be forced to use zImage
>> anyway.
>
> I managed to boot FSL imx_3.10.9_1.0.0_alpha with mainline U-boot.

Me too; All customer-kernels I've been doing (based on 3.10) been
using zImage and it works quite well. Did you test older kernels
(3.0.35 and 2.6.35, for example)?

> Haven't tested imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta yet, but I can try it next week.
>
> Even if we manage to get imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta booting fine with
> uImage, I still think that booting the zImage makes sense, as it can
> avoid user errors by passing incorrect LOADADDR.

I like this as a goal but this is not a simple change for the BSP; we
need to make it work for both supported kernels and test both. The
ideal would be to have all boards using zImage but we have a long way
for this...

Even if we convert all boards to zImage we need to keep support for
uImage as customers may be using it for their internal boards.