[meta-freescale] Freescale Linux kernel 3.10.17_1.0.0_beta

Fabio Estevam festevam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:51:28 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM, John Weber <rjohnweber at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think this is a great idea but I believe we ought to make this for
>> all boards so we have it uniform across the boards; otherwise we'll
>> have a mix and it makes the support harder.

Yes, in mainline U-boot I plan to convert them all at once.

>> Considering we'd target this for 1.6, what would be the conversion plan?
>>
>> Who could be responsible for each board for converting/testing?
>>
> Not sure, my thought was to leave it to the board maintainers. Unless I'm
> mistaken (which is a possibility), for some reason uImage does not work when
> booting with the 3.10.X kernels.  It that is the case then we either need to
> figure out the problem with uImages or others will be forced to use zImage
> anyway.

I managed to boot FSL imx_3.10.9_1.0.0_alpha with mainline U-boot.

Haven't tested imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta yet, but I can try it next week.

Even if we manage to get imx_3.10.17_1.0.0_beta booting fine with
uImage, I still think that booting the zImage makes sense, as it can
avoid user errors by passing incorrect LOADADDR.

> Here are the steps I've considered:
> A) Send two patches to meta-freescale for meta-fsl-arm-extra to make the
> conversion:
>    1) bbappend for u-boot to patch the include/configs/<board>.h file to use
> and boot from zImage
>    2) Patch conf/machine/include/<board>.inc to set KERNEL_IMAGETYPE to
> zImage
>
> B) Test the current stable kernels with these settings
>
> c) Upstream the U-boot patch to u-boot-imx

Looks like a good plan.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam