[meta-freescale] gst-plugins-fsl based on Gstreamer 1.0

Philip Craig phil at blackmoth.com.au
Wed Aug 7 21:29:02 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Ashwin Kirpalani <akcooper8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a porting guide
> here:http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/chapter-porting-1.0.html
>
> Not quite sure how much work it is to port gst-fsl-plugins but I'll give it
> a try and post my progress

I briefly looked at porting the VPU codecs, and decided that it wasn't
worth trying to do a simple port. There were two main reasons:

- gst-fsl-plugins uses hacks to handle DMA buffers with zero copy.
These hacks made sense in gstreamer 0.10, but would be hard to port
and shouldn't be needed in gstreamer 1.0.
- gstreamer 1.0 now has GstVideoEncoder and GstVideoDecoder base
classes. Using these would make it simpler to handle future gstreamer
changes.

I have written very basic H.264 plugins for gstreamer 1.0 that use the
GstVideoEncoder/Decoder base classes, but I dropped a lot of features
(including zero copy) and have only tested them in one specific use
case, so I wouldn't recommend trying to use them unless you are
willing to fix bugs and add back in the features you need. I can make
these available if there is interest. For reference, my current use
case is live streaming of 720p video (no audio) on i.MX6. I expect I
have completely messed up the timestamping support too :)

I have also ported the v4l2src plugin (again with many features
dropped). I would prefer not to have done this, but unfortunately the
Freescale CSI driver doesn't correctly implement the v4l2 interface.
The standard v4l2sink plugin works with LVDS. It doesn't work with
HDMI, but I haven't investigated why yet.