[linux-yocto] Risks to transfer from Debian armhf to Yocto

JH jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 14:14:53 PST 2019

Hi,

Sorry I am new to Yocto to ask very basic questions.

My application was previously running on Debian 8 armhf, the new embedded
device is now to reduce the Flash and Ram size I have been battering to cut
the Debian image size down, the chance to make the small Debian image size
to fit the new device is only 50%, a high risk if I continue on that road.

There are intensive debate and discussions internally for which build
system we should change, some high profile want to use OpenWrt, but I
advocate to use Yocto, I have zero experience about the Yocto, if it is
failed I would be accountable for failing to deliver the company project.

What will be the risks to transfer / port the Debian 8 armhf application to
use Yocto build and platform on imx6? The application involves data
transfer and communications using LTE, WiFi, SSL, Tcp/Ip, so the ConnMan
and oFono must be used.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jh