[linux-yocto] Development host with the yocto target

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:46:25 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-24 04:56 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Ashfield
>> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

>>> So you want to build an image, install that image to the intel target
>>> and then use the target as the development host ?
>>>
>>> If so, there are some image types in oe-core that can be used as a
>>> baseline for a system that is capable of building yocto itself, which
>>> should be enough for most development purposes. (see
>>> build-appliance-image
>>> in oe-core)
>>

>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> I am trying to understand the best way to make a development station
>> (for application staff), so that the application can be compiled and
>> debugged on target using that host development station.
>>
>> I have the following ideas:
>> 1. use the exact  target iso in virtualbox (in my case the target is
>> intel i7, so it should work)
>> 2. create sdk with yocto:
>>    /tmp/build/sdk
>>    ./poky-glibc-x86_64-meta-toolchain-corei7-64-toolchain-2.1.2.sh
>> But then I see in /opt/poky/2.1.2 2 folders:
>> 1. corei7-64-poky-linux
>> 2. x86_64-pokysdk-linux
>> I don't understand what's each of them actually contain.
>> Then I can probably use this toolchain from any development (even
>> windows?) .
>>
>> Please tell me what do you think of the above, and if there is any
>> better solution.
>

> If you are looking to enable application developers, then the SDK
> is the right way to go.
>
> You could create an entire build appliance that runs in a VM (your
> idea #1), but that adds overhead and makes those application developers
> interact with the entire build system (versus just what they need
> for their application).
>
> There is also a project called CROPS that is about creating containers
> with the toolchain and have build capabilities. It is similar to the
> build appliance VM, but with less overhead. It is worth checking out.

Thank you very much, Bruce.
One more on this, if I may.
We actually need the toolchain for windows, and I think SDK is for Linux only.
Is there some toolchain which should be appropriate for target ?
Should I check if minGW toolchain should match ? I think there are
serveral gcc versions, so I'm not sure how to find matching.

Thank you!
Ran