[linux-yocto] Development host with the yocto target

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Feb 27 05:45:46 PST 2017

On 2017-02-24 04:56 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-02-23 11:32 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What's the best way to arrange development host with intel target ?
>>> Do I just need the toolchain ?
>>> Or better use all libraries too ? i.e. the excat iso running on laptop ?
>>

>> So you want to build an image, install that image to the intel target
>> and then use the target as the development host ?
>>
>> If so, there are some image types in oe-core that can be used as a
>> baseline for a system that is capable of building yocto itself, which
>> should be enough for most development purposes. (see build-appliance-image
>> in oe-core)
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> I am trying to understand the best way to make a development station
> (for application staff), so that the application can be compiled and
> debugged on target using that host development station.
>
> I have the following ideas:
> 1. use the exact  target iso in virtualbox (in my case the target is
> intel i7, so it should work)
> 2. create sdk with yocto:
>    /tmp/build/sdk
>    ./poky-glibc-x86_64-meta-toolchain-corei7-64-toolchain-2.1.2.sh
> But then I see in /opt/poky/2.1.2 2 folders:
> 1. corei7-64-poky-linux
> 2. x86_64-pokysdk-linux
> I don't understand what's each of them actually contain.
> Then I can probably use this toolchain from any development (even windows?) .
>
> Please tell me what do you think of the above, and if there is any
> better solution.

If you are looking to enable application developers, then the SDK
is the right way to go.

You could create an entire build appliance that runs in a VM (your
idea #1), but that adds overhead and makes those application developers
interact with the entire build system (versus just what they need
for their application).

There is also a project called CROPS that is about creating containers
with the toolchain and have build capabilities. It is similar to the
build appliance VM, but with less overhead. It is worth checking out.

As for the differences in the SDK install that you are seeing, it is
best to grab the details from the docs, the (e)SDK should be well
covered in the latest yocto docs.

Bruce