[linux-yocto] Development host with the yocto target

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 13:56:29 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-23 11:32 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> What's the best way to arrange development host with intel target ?
>> Do I just need the toolchain ?
>> Or better use all libraries too ? i.e. the excat iso running on laptop ?
>

> So you want to build an image, install that image to the intel target
> and then use the target as the development host ?
>
> If so, there are some image types in oe-core that can be used as a
> baseline for a system that is capable of building yocto itself, which
> should be enough for most development purposes. (see build-appliance-image
> in oe-core)

Hi Bruce,

I am trying to understand the best way to make a development station
(for application staff), so that the application can be compiled and
debugged on target using that host development station.

I have the following ideas:
1. use the exact  target iso in virtualbox (in my case the target is
intel i7, so it should work)
2. create sdk with yocto:
   /tmp/build/sdk
   ./poky-glibc-x86_64-meta-toolchain-corei7-64-toolchain-2.1.2.sh
But then I see in /opt/poky/2.1.2 2 folders:
1. corei7-64-poky-linux
2. x86_64-pokysdk-linux
I don't understand what's each of them actually contain.
Then I can probably use this toolchain from any development (even windows?) .

Please tell me what do you think of the above, and if there is any
better solution.

Thanks,
Ran