[linux-yocto] upgrade kernel version

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Feb 21 14:58:17 PST 2017

On 2017-02-21 03:16 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new with yocto.
> I have made a reading, yet not sure about the following:
> I am using congatec ATOM (intel) board.
> On installing in it ubuntu , it worked OK with all HW interfaces.
> Now, I try to install yocto.
> I have found the following link:
> https://git.congatec.com/x86/meta-congatec-x86/blob/dizzy/README
>
> So, I guess that this is the best starting point, Right ?
> Yet, at the end I need to put a more upgraded kernel version with RT patch.
>
> So, I would please like to ask:
> In order to upgrade to RT 4.1.15
> (https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.1/older/)
> Is it just a matter of adding:
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-yocto-rt"
> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "4.1%"

Those lines would definitely switch you to using linux-yocto-rt
and you'd get the latest -rt version that was integrated into the
tree.

The only issue is that if there's a kernel recipe in the meta-congatec-x86
you referenced above, you won't use the configuration that was
used for the original build.

In the same manner, you wouldn't get any kernel patches that the
layer was providing.

Unless of course meta-congatec-x86 is using linux-yocto and is
providing configuration fragments or a defconfig. In that case,
you could update them and provide them via a linux-yocto-rt_4.1.bbappend.

Bruce