[linux-yocto] EXTERNAL: Missing Kernel Object Files (.ko)

Chen, Simon simon.chen at lmco.com
Fri Jun 19 06:55:12 PDT 2015

Hi Saul,

Sorry, I'm having issues with our company's firewall. I didn't get an email from you earlier, and I'm pretty much brute forcing a reply. I hope this makes it through.

I was able to see some kernel modules in the Yocto image after I added that extra line in local.conf, however none of them are what I was looking for: radeon.ko, drm.ko, drm_kms_helper.ko, ttm.ko, and i2c_algo_bit.ko . Perhaps these are in another package?

I've also tried follow your first instructions, typing $bitbake -c devshell core-image-full-cmdline. A second terminal window pops up but I can't find installed_pkgs.txt in that directory.

-Simon

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using the poky-dizzy-12.0.1 version of Yocto and building core-image-full-cmdline. When I boot the image and look into /lib/modules/<KERNEL-VERSION>/kernel, it appears that the kernel is missing most of the .ko files that a normal Linux kernel would otherwise need to run.  The only directory that appears in the "kernel" folder is "net." And in this net directory we only have "ipv4" and "netfilter" packages containing some .ko's. The kernel is missing many other modules like those in "drivers."
>
> In particular, I am trying to integrate the AMD Radeon E8860 graphics card on to a Yocto machine. I've already have the open source xf86-video-ati driver (7.4.0) installed into my Yocto image. The problem is that the kernel module radeon.ko seems to be missing from the kernel. Without this .ko file, Yocto cannot recognize the external graphics card, and udev cannot generate an appropriate device node (/dev/dri/card0) for Xorg to use.

I think it's possible that you are missing the kernel-modules package
would would put the the kernel modules into the rootfs.

You can verify this by looking into the core-image-full-cmdline rootfs
and send us the installed_pkgs.txt, you can find it if you use bitbake
-c devshell core-image-full-cmdline

You can try putting the following in your local.conf.
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = "kernel-modules"

Sau!