[linux-yocto] Missing Kernel Object Files (.ko)

Chen, Simon simon.chen at lmco.com
Thu Jun 18 09:50:14 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am currently using the poky-dizzy-12.0.1 version of Yocto and building core-image-full-cmdline. When I boot the image and look into /lib/modules/<KERNEL-VERSION>/kernel, it appears that the kernel is missing most of the .ko files that a normal Linux kernel would otherwise need to run.  The only directory that appears in the "kernel" folder is "net." And in this net directory we only have "ipv4" and "netfilter" packages containing some .ko's. The kernel is missing many other modules like those in "drivers."

In particular, I am trying to integrate the AMD Radeon E8860 graphics card on to a Yocto machine. I've already have the open source xf86-video-ati driver (7.4.0) installed into my Yocto image. The problem is that the kernel module radeon.ko seems to be missing from the kernel. Without this .ko file, Yocto cannot recognize the external graphics card, and udev cannot generate an appropriate device node (/dev/dri/card0) for Xorg to use.

-Simon