[linux-yocto] Organization of Cfg/Features

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Feb 10 08:41:13 PST 2014

On 14-02-07 04:48 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On 2/7/14, 13:37, "Bruce Ashfield" <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

>>> I think this too has grown organically. However, when patches are under
>>> heavy development, trying to maintain them in a git feature branch
>>> quickly
>>> becomes tiresome with rebases and such.

>>> Right, this wasn't a criticism but rather an observation that it's
>>> probably time to get out the pruners and perform some deferred
>>> maintenance.
>>
>> Agreed. No criticism was taken here, it is what it is. A cleanup gets a +1
>>from me.
>
> We need to agree on what we *want* it to look like. My suggestion would be:

What you have below was largely the original intent of the structure,
but as we've said, over time as changes have gone upstream not enough
has moved from features -> cfg.

> cfg/
> 	- Contains a Kconfig-parallel hierarchy of no more than 2 levels
> 	- scc files are used only for aggregating features
> 	- No scc file is used to contain a single kconf line

I'd leave the door open for some deviations, so I'd change the above
to "should not" vs an absolute statement.

I'm ok with some depth to the structure as well, as long as it isn't too
deep, or set in stone that it must follow the kernel's structure.

Having granular fragments, but collecting .scc files also makes sense
from a usability point of view. Users are free to create their own .scc
files that include the .cfg's, so in the end, we have complete flexibility.

> features/
> 	- Contains development features including patches and cfg fragments to
> enable them
> 	- Every feature is in its own directory
> 	- I think I'd propose we start with a directory depth of 1 here

The kernel types are still worth separating out into a different bucket,
so don't forget them here. We'd also have ktypes/*, where the definition
of a kernel type is a:

   - A named entry point into the kernel configuration that encompasses
     an entire set of features or behaviour. "small", "realtime", etc,
     being examples.

.. and finally, what about the small, standalone changes and fixes to
the kernel ? They've typically gone under "patches" before, if we want
to unify under features, that is a bit odd "features/patches", but what
about "patches/features/<foo>" instead ? The same thing can be said about
the 'arch' changes, which are at the top level, but could (should), just
move under "patches/arch".

There are also some categories that don't completely map, things like
"bsp", "staging" and "LTSI", and since they are not typically a user
interface,
they sit right at the top level. I'd consider moving them, but only if
there's a compelling reason.

Bruce