[linux-yocto] How to upgrade to linux kernel version 3.8 from 3.4

Sathish Kumar Balasubramaniam -ERS, HCL Tech b-sathishkumar at hcl.com
Thu Feb 6 00:29:29 PST 2014

Thanks a lot for the info, Bruce.

Regards,
B.Sathish Kumar

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Ashfield [mailto:bruce.ashfield at windriver.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:48 PM
To: Sathish Kumar Balasubramaniam -ERS, HCL Tech; linux-yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [linux-yocto] How to upgrade to linux kernel version 3.8 from 3.4

On 14-02-05 09:41 AM, Sathish Kumar Balasubramaniam -ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The following Renesas BSP is based on linux-yocto 3.4% and built with
> dora branch of poky and 5.0.1 of meta-ivi
>
> https://github.com/rCarUSA/GENIVI-Gemini-Release/tree/master/meta-rcar
> -h2-lager

> -----------------
>
> Below lines from meta-rcar-h2-lager/conf/machine/rcar-h2-lager.conf
> file

> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
>
> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-mainline ?= "3.4%"

> I saw the following file which is related to linux-yocto 3.8
>
> poky/meta-yocto-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bbappend
>
> What do I need to do to upgrade the Renesas BSP to linux-yocto 3.8
> from the current 3.4 ?

I had a look at the recipe you referenced, and while it uses the linux-yocto name, it isn't referencing the linux-yocto kernel tree or a BSP definition in the tree. If it had referenced linux-yocto, I would have been carrying the support forward to 3.8, 3.10, etc.

If you have a choice, I'd recommend 3.10 over 3.8 .. but you may not have a choice.

Back to the point. In this case, your upgrade path would be to check with the maintainer/author of the recipe and the renasas tree referenced in that recipe. If they have something newer .. you are good to go, otherwise, you'll need to see what sort of patches need to be ported to uprev.

Cheers,

Bruce