[linux-yocto] 3.10, standard/base at 3.10.17, but reverts back to 3.10.10...

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 7 11:06:25 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 13:45 -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-11-07 01:13 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> > We've actually discussed the impotency of the recipe-space KBRANCH
> > before, and it's still a problem we need to address. This may just be a
> > documentation issue in the end, but I think we could narrow the semantic
> > gap with the tooling as well.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > 1) What does it mean to specify KBRANCH=/standard/base ?
> >
> > I think the typical BSP author's expectation would be that standard/base
> > would be used as the base for the kernel build. Any patches or features
> > would merged on top of that.
> >
> > The reality is that any branch command in the linux-yocto meta-data
> > could render it completely ineffectual - or not, depending on whether or
> > not the target branch already exists or not. We can certainly improve
> > this.
>
> It means that the branch will be built, or an error will the thrown. If
> you deviate from KBRANCH_DEFAULT, it means you know what you are doing
> and if that branch isn't built .. the build stops.

But it didn't. I specified KBRANCH=/standard/base and it build
standard/minnow, no complaints.

> > 2) What is the outside-of-bitbake equivalent of KBRANCH?
> >
> > We should be adding some documentation on how to work with the kernel
> > tools outside of bitbake. Right now that is shrouded in tribal knowledge
> > which understandably widens the semantic gap.
>
> There isn't one. If you are outside bitbake, you trust the meta data
> and build where they leave the tree :) The branch specifications are
> pretty much only around to keep the fetcher happy.

Right, that is what I remembered form our discussion. KBRANCH was only
added to cooperate with SRCREVs. Unfortunately, as you said above, it
has broader, more vague impacts on the build.

I get that this is an annoyance for you ;-) but if I'm burning two days
to resolve issues like this (and I wrote the book on it - haha), we can
be sure that others will throw their hands up in the air give up long
before this point.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center