[linux-yocto] Yocto Kernel Headers

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon May 13 05:37:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 3:16 AM, Manish Sharma
<sharma.manish13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.. That was helpful..
>
> Another query if you could help.. The qemu which I am using has got kernel
> as 3.2.11. How can I upgrade it to kernel 3.4? Any other way than compiling
> from the yocto source?

If you are using a particular yocto release, it is true that the
default kernel for
the qemu machines in a given kernel version. If you want a tested, newer
kernel, you can always just update to the latest (1.4) release and you'll have
your choice of 3.4 and 3.8.

But that's if you want a yocto kernel. You are free to follow the docs (check
the yocto site for the kernel and kernel dev manuals) or use an example
recipe (that you'll find in various layers) and create your own custom kernel
recipe and board configuration. You can target those at any kernel version
you want (and then support/get it working in your project).

Cheers,

Bruce

> Regards
> Manish Sharma
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 13-05-06 07:12 AM, Manish Sharma wrote:
>>>
>>> HI,
>>>     I am looking for kernel headers used in used to prepare qemux86
>>> image. Where can I get those? I visited
>>> http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/. but could not figure
>>> out the headers!
>>> Kernel on my qemu (x86) is 3.2.11-yocto-standard
>>

>> The kernel headers are simply the mainline kernel sources, with
>> "make headers_install" executed, packaged and placed in the
>> sysroot for the build.
>>
>> So just look in your build/downloads/ and you'll see linux-3.2*tar.bz2,
>> those are your kernel headers source.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>>> Kindly assist is getting the headers.