[linux-yocto] /meta in .gitignore of linux-yocto-3.4/meta (again)

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon Jun 3 07:44:55 PDT 2013

On 13-06-03 10:14 AM, Jean-François Dagenais wrote:
> Hi guys, (Bruce...)
>
> (work with Marc Ferland at Sonatest)
>
> Heads up: I'm a linux-yocto recipe noob. We historically maintained a static
> defconfig with a build ready branch on a local repo.
>
> Now moving up to 1.3 and 1.4, we want to use the meta and linux kernel tools.
>
> Checked out a local 'meta' branch that tracks linux-yocto-3.4/meta. I went in to
> make a few changes and had problems when trying to commit those (obviously you
> might say). The root .gitignore file's last entry is '/meta' which makes any
> 'git add' of files in the meta dir (the only dir in branch meta) fail.
>
> Now that seemed like an obvious mistake, and sure enough I made a commit which
> removes the line '/meta' from the bottom of the file, then added more commits to
> my meta branch. I updated the sha-1 in my linux-yocto-3.4.bbappend for my
> machine branch and my meta branch. Then built. Note that when I merged
> standard/crownbay into my local machine branch, I had a conflict in .gitignore
> where I had appended something to the end and crownbay branch was adding '/meta'
> to the end also. I merged these changes without too much thinking about it and
> my merged version of .gitignore in my machine branch has the '/meta' line second
> last in the file... if that's relevant.
>
> Building using bitbake choked in a manner similar to this thread
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-September/011347.html.
>
> Now, even after going through the thread, I still wonder why the meta branch
> would have '/meta' at the end of .gitignore... isn't making changes to the meta
> dir the purpose of checking out the meta branch? Having the dir ignore makes
> committing impossible (unless using 'git add -f'). So what's the reason here?

The meta branch doesn't need the .gitignore patch anymore, historically
it did. Getting the contents write on tree creation used to be an issue,
but that's no longer a case with some tools updates that are pending
for Yocto 1.5.

The current "right way", is to simply use git add -f, and leave the
.gitignore as is, and on the upcoming linux-dev trees, you won't
need to do it anymore.

Cheers,

Bruce