[linux-yocto] Linux-yocto-custom and meta-data

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Oct 16 09:03:45 PDT 2012

On 12-10-15 8:00 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 10/15/2012 04:56 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

>>> So if I specify KTYPE=standard and MACHINE=mybsp, then I should be able
>>> to get away with:
>>>

>>>      meta
>>>      └── cfg
>>>          └── kernel-cache
>>>              └── bsp
>>>                  └── mybsp
>>>                      ├── mybsp.cfg
>>>                      └── mybsp-standard.scc
>>>
>>> Note the mybsp-standard.scc name, and the lack of a
>>> ktype/standard/standard.scc.
>>
>> Yep. Both are ok, and you don't even need to call it -standard.scc,
>> since the file name isn't searched, only the contents for the right
>> ktype/kmachine that best matches the machine+ktype passed down from
>> the build system.
>
> Ah, so mybsp.scc should contain:
>
>    define KMACHINE mybsp
>    define KARCH i386
>    define KTYPE standard
>    kconf hardware mybsp.cfg

I tested this, and as we thought, it does want the KTYPE to be defined.
I already have a patch to remove that requirement, and I'll queue it for
1.4.

One word of warning though. Due to the way that the branches are reset
and the way that git handles the base/origin commit, make sure you
have one commit BEFORE you add your BSP content onto the meta branch.

You'll also need to set KMETA=meta in your linux-yocto-custom to trigger
the checkout of the meta data.

If you have any trouble with the meta branch creation, shout, since it
definitely shouldn't contain the content from the master branch, or it'll
be reset just like any BSP branch!

Bruce