[linux-yocto] Linux-yocto-custom and meta-data

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 15 16:26:18 PDT 2012

I've got a customer that insists on using their own kernel version, but
doesn't want to keep their config in recipe-space. I already have them
using linux-yocto-custom with a linux 3.5 based git repository. Seems to
me the best way to address this would be for them to create a meta
directory in their master branch which contains their BSP definition. Is
it as simple as the following?

  $ tree meta

  meta/cfg/kernel-cache/bsp/common-pc
  └── cfg
      └── kernel-cache
          └── bsp
              └── mybsp
                  ├── mybsp.cfg
                  └── mybsp.scc

Where mybsp.scc is:

  define KMACHINE mybsp
  define KARCH i386
  kconf hardware mybsp.cfg

This doesn't define any kernel types, would we need to do that, or can
the tools deal with that?

Obviously it would be more ideal to use the linux-yocto repository
itself with common base kernel version and create policy and hardware
fragments, etc. But given these constraints, is this about right?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center