[intel-iot-refkit] Refkit image configuration

Puustinen, Ismo ismo.puustinen at intel.com
Wed Jun 28 07:32:00 PDT 2017

Hi all,

We had a few months ago a discussion about the recommended ways to
configure Refkit images [1]. There were several proposals, but no
consensus. However, we need to add some documentation or guidelines to
the users who have to choose one way or other for doing that.

My suggestion is that we go now with the "just-configure-the-image"
approach without any custom framework. BB already provides
well-documented ways of changing the files installed by image recipes,
and the users might as well use that, if they have more than a handful
of packages to configure. In the long run we might try to persuade
oe-core and meta-oe to package software with more thought into
separation of configuration packages. Meanwhile, we should aim to
the split the configuration into separate packages for the recipes we
maintain in Refkit.

[1] https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/intel-iot-refkit/2017-March/000007.html

Ismo