[Automated-testing] Documentation: Designing for automated testing

Milosz Wasilewski milosz.wasilewski at linaro.org
Thu Oct 24 04:10:25 PDT 2019

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 10:58, Chris Fiege <cfi at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> now that ELCE and ATS 2019 are coming closer I wanted post a short reminder:
>
> I am collecting facts and hints about how to design an embedded hardware in
> a way, that embedded software development is easy:
>
> https://designing-for-automated-testing.readthedocs.io/
>
> If you think that your common use-case is missing please send me a patch or
> open a pull-request:
> https://github.com/SmithChart/Designing-for-Automated-Testing
>
> Feel free to forward this documentation to your (hardware) colleagues and
> your customers.

I'm missing a requirement for unique ID. If you have more than 1 board
connected to common host non-unique IDs prevent from working with the
boards. This mainly applies to automated testing labs/farms. Unique ID
should apply to UART and possibly other interfaces (MAC address,
fastboot, DFU, etc.). I'll send a PR for UART but I'm not sure where
the other IDs should be mentioned.

milosz