[Automated-testing] [EXTERNAL] RE: ELC followup / Search for a testing framework for small distribution tests on device

Westermann, Oliver Oliver.Westermann at cognex.com
Tue Nov 19 07:30:16 PST 2019

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 06:02, Tim.Bird at sony.com <Tim.Bird at sony.com> wrote:
> Fuego is designed to be a host/target embedded test system.  It comes with
> a suite of existing tests.  It also comes with a Jenkins system for controlling
> everything.  However, tests can also be invoked from the command line
> independent of Jenkins.  This was done specifically to allow integration with
> other CI frameworks.

Assuming one would like to play around with fuego, is there something like a
referece setup that is easy to reproduce? So eg "Setup a Pi/BB, setup this
container(s), run "start_test.sh", so we could take a look at Fuego without
digging through documentation?

> Fuego does not currently do board provisioning or boot-time tests,
> although some users of Fuego have their own Jenkins jobs to perform
> those steps.

That might be fine for us.

> Fuego runs tests from the host (putting all test materials on the target prior
> to each test, and removing them at the completion of the test).

How to you make sure that there is no cross-test effects? Leftover temp files, bad
system state, ...?

> IMHO, Fuego's strengths are in generic distro testing and it's existing test suite.

Which might be a very good starting point as to "what to test beside the obvious".
Is there a overview of the tests (or a link to a repo thats "human readable")? I struggled
when googling for what Fuego tests exactly.

> I hope this is helpful.

It was, thanks :)

Best regards, Olli