[Automated-testing] [EXTERNAL] Re: ELC followup / Search for a testing framework for small distribution tests on device

Westermann, Oliver Oliver.Westermann at cognex.com
Tue Nov 19 07:23:09 PST 2019

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 01:48, Milosz Wasilewski <milosz.wasilewski at linaro.org> wrote:
> As LAVA co-maintainer I'm obviously biased but I think this tool can
> do what you need. LAVA doesn't do any building it expects build
> artifacts to be available for download.

Thats totally fine & expected, we've a buildbot based build system doing the builds.

> It can deliver software to
> your device (aka deployment step) and drive your device to run some
> tests. If you could give some more details about the device (how to
> deploy software to it, how to connect to console, etc.) I can probably
> suggest next step with LAVA.

We've a commandline application that expects our own update package. It can
be used from console, so the "update mechanism" would look something like

- scp the update file to the device
- call

$ update-handler -i update-file.tar.gz

- reboot, check if update successful

For the first device we have access to serial console & ethernet, we would just
need to manage network stuff, but thats something we can handle once we get our feet wet.

Regarding next steps, our current plan is to get LAVA running with a beaglebone and the "default"
setup and then check how to add our device next to the beaglebone. But of course we're open for
recommendations!

Best regards, Olli