[Automated-testing] Structured feeds

Eric Wong e at 80x24.org
Thu Nov 7 16:24:38 PST 2019

Veronika Kabatova <vkabatov at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'll be totally honest and admit I ignored most of the implementation details
> of public inbox feeds (will take a look when I have some free time) but as
> long as they contain the original email, the feature should be usable with
> them too.

Implementation details should not matter to consumers.

public-inbox exposes everything as NNTP which is the same
message format as email.  NNTP is also much more stable and
established than the v2 git layout of public-inbox (which could
be superceded by a hypothetical "v3" layout).

I highly recommend anybody consuming public-inbox (and not
making 1:1 mirrors) use NNTP since it's well-established
and doesn't enforce long-term storage requirements.

I hope to support HTTP(S) CONNECT tunneling as a means for users
behind firewalls to get around NNTP port 119/563 restrictions.