[Automated-testing] How does kernelCI use LAVA?

Tim.Bird at sony.com Tim.Bird at sony.com
Sat Nov 2 08:31:27 PDT 2019

Milosz and/or Kevin,

This is question is just to clear up my understanding of things.

I came away from ATS a bit confused by some of the discussion
after Milosz' talk about  LAVA templating.  I thought I heard Kevin
say that this would be very handy for KernelCI, and I don't understand why.

Apparently, KernelCI has to create job definition files to run boot tests,
and this requires that the job definition file contain things like the strings
that are passed to the bootloader?  I believe the purpose of the templating system
is to abstract (and possibly parameterize) these things.

How does KernelCI have this information?  It seems very lab and board-specific.
Is there some API for KernelCI to retrieve parts of the board provisioning information
from a lab, and use that to create the job definition file to submit to LAVA?
Is there kept in the central KernelCI master, or somehow injected by the lab LAVA master?

I'm thinking I've misunderstood something, or I'm missing a layer in LAVA
that provides these abstractions.

In order to submit LAVA jobs, wouldn't the LKFT system have the same issue?
It has to know about board provisioning and steps in order to create a LAVA yaml
job file for LAVA to execute.

Maybe this only applies to boot-time tests, because they are so closely related
to the provisioning step?  Is this same thing required when running LTP and other
non-boot-time tests?

Thanks for any explanation or clarification you can provide.
 -- Tim