[Automated-testing] Test definition survey

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Jan 11 05:52:22 PST 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-10 at 02:20 +0000, Tim.Bird at sony.com wrote:
> OK everyone.  My holidays are over, and it's time to roll up my
> sleeves and get back to work
> on automated testing standards.
>
> One of my action items from the Automated Testing Summit
> (see https://elinux.org/Automated_Testing_Summit)
> was to do a survey of "test definitions".
>
> I said at the meeting that this would not be an onerous field-by-
> field survey, but
> rather something simple.
>
> Can everyone who has a test framework or test system please send me a
> link to a "characteristic" test in your system?  Preferably, send me
> 3 links:
>  - to a "simple" test - one that has few fields but is easy to
> understand

An "on target" test of the compiler:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/lib/oeqa/runtime/cases/gcc.py

(same directory has simple python/perl tests and so on)

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/lib/oeqa/files
(for the test files for context, they're just hello world examples)

>  - to a "characteristic" test - one that uses the most common
> features of your system

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/lib/oeqa/selftest/cases/devtool.py

This is a "selftest" for the "devtool" command that is part of the
overall build system, its a bit more complex with shared functions and
tests for each of devtool's subcommands.

>  - to your repository of tests - hopefully a single directory at a
> repository online where
> I can find multiple test definitions.

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/lib/oeqa which is
all the test code and core test definitions. Test definitions are in
cases directories under "manual", "runtime", "sdk" and "selftest"
directories.
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/bitbake/lib/bb/tests for
bitbake-selftest.

Cheers,